Port Arthur Personal Injury Lawyers
A single accident can turn a person’s life upside-down. This is especially true when that accident was caused by someone else’s negligence and resulted in a serious injury. Victims of automobile collisions, slip and fall accidents, and workplace accidents are often forced to deal with far more than the physical pain of the injury itself. They also face overwhelming medical expenses, temporary or permanent disabilities that prevent them from earning money and enjoying the activities they used to love, and the psychological suffering that comes as a result of the stress of all of these changes.
The Port Arthur personal injury attorneys of Portner Bond, PLLC understand how difficult life can become for accident victims. We pride ourselves on providing skilled, compassionate representation for those who have been injured by another party’s recklessness or negligence in accidents in Port Arthur and the surrounding areas. We fight to recover full, fair compensation for our clients so that they can feel empowered to be in control of their own lives once again. We have helped make life better for so many of our clients, and we are ready to do the same for you.
Call Portner Bond, PLLC today at [phone-name] for a free, no-obligation consultation, and let us start helping you get back on your feet again.
Areas of Practice
The legal team at Portner Bond, PLLC has successfully represented clients in all types of injury cases. Whatever the cause of your accident, our Port Arthur personal injury lawyers are here to help you. Some of the most common types of cases we handle include:
- Car Accidents – The consequences of car accidents are often far more devastating than damage to the vehicles involved. Victims of automobile collisions can suffer serious physical injuries as well as long-term psychological trauma.
- Truck Accidents – Because of their size, collisions with commercial trucks are often even more devastating than accidents between passenger vehicles. Sometimes victims of truck accidents suffer long-term or permanent disabilities that have a lasting impact on their health and livelihood.
- Motorcycle Accidents – Sometimes, motorists are not as careful as they should be when sharing the road with vulnerable motorcycle riders, and the results can be tragic.
- Wrongful Death – Losing a loved one in an accident that was caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party can be one of the most painful experiences a family can endure. A wrongful death claim can help attain justice and compensation for those who are left behind.
- Work Injuries – If you have been injured on the job, it may have been due to negligent workplace practices on the part of your employer. A work injury claim can help ensure that you receive the benefits you deserve. If the employer wasn’t at fault, we could help with workers’ compensation claims, too.
- Industrial Accidents – When an injury or a wrongful death comes about as a result of industrial activity, you need a team of qualified lawyers to help you fight against big corporations and their insurance companies.
- Premises Liability – If you have received an injury due to an accident caused by a hazardous condition on another party’s property, we will fight for your right to compensation for their negligence.
- Four-Wheeler/ATV Accidents – The injuries that occur as a result of off-road vehicle accidents can be particularly devastating. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you establish liability and receive compensation for your injuries.
- Boat and Jetski Accidents – If you have suffered boating or watercraft injuries through no fault of your own, we can help you determine what legal steps to take next.
- Medical Malpractice – It’s devastating when those who were supposed to heal your injuries or illnesses cause additional injury. We can work to hold medical professionals who have failed in their duty of care accountable for their actions.
- Dog Bites – If you were bitten by a dog and you did not provoke the dog, you might be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses and other accident-related losses.
- Bike Accidents – It’s difficult for some drivers to see bicyclists on the road because of their much smaller size. If you’ve been injured through someone else’s negligence while biking, we can help.
- Pedestrian Accidents – Even though the rules of the road require that drivers look out for pedestrians, it doesn’t always happen. If you were injured through no fault of your own, we could pursue compensation for your injuries.
- Jones Act and Maritime Law Accidents – If you were injured while working on an oil rig or while working on a seagoing vessel, we could help.
Even if your specific type of accident is not covered in the above list, contact Portner Bond, PLLC for a consultation, and we will be able to help guide you through the legal steps you need to take.
Texas Statute of Limitations
The state of Texas places strict time limits on when you are able to file a personal injury claim, and it is important that you understand how long you have to act if you are thinking of taking legal action.
The Texas statute of limitations states that you have two years to file a personal injury claim. Failure to file your claim within this time period will mean that the at-fault party has the right to file a “motion to dismiss” your claim. At this point, even if your injuries were severe and it is obvious that the defendant is liable for the accident, you will be unlikely to receive compensation for your claim.
One reason for this is that the more time goes by, the more difficult it is for all the parties involved to remember the exact circumstances of the event. This statute also exists to encourage plaintiffs to file their claim in good faith, and part of this is doing so within a reasonable amount of time rather than dragging out the process.
This two-year time period begins at the moment of the “cause of action.” This means that you must file your claim within two years from the moment that you are aware of your injury. It is important to note that, even if a court or jury does not hear your claim within that window, your case is still valid as long as you have filed it before the end of the two-year period.
There are exceptions to the statute of limitations, such as if a defendant has tried to evade or cover up liability for the claim, if the plaintiff was a minor, or if the plaintiff was otherwise of an “unsound mind” at the time of the incident. If you are unsure about whether your case might be subject to an exception, contact Portner Bond, PLLC for a consultation.
Call an Experienced Port Arthur Personal Injury Attorney Today
Every personal injury case is unique, and the circumstances surrounding your accident will determine the most effective path forward for your case. If you are considering filing a claim against the party that is responsible for your injury, contact the experienced Port Arthur personal injury lawyers of Portner Bond, PLLC today. We offer free case evaluations for all of our potential clients, and we will not charge you any fees unless and until we recover compensation on your behalf. Call us today at (409) 838-4444 to schedule your consultation.