What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Posted on Wednesday, September 15th, 2021 at 4:41 pm
When we think of lawyers, we often think of the lawyers we see on TV, representing or prosecuting criminals. Most lawyers, though, represent everyday people who are dealing with common legal issues.
A personal injury lawyer represents clients who were injured in accidents caused by someone else’s negligence. For instance, if you were involved in an automobile collision or were injured after falling at the grocery store, you might turn to a personal injury lawyer to handle your accident case.
Portner Bond, PLLC has been representing accident victims for over 30 years. If you are seeking a personal injury attorney to handle your case, call our firm at (409) 838-4444 today to set up a consultation.
What Do Personal Injury Attorneys Do?
For instance, our personal injury lawyers at Portner Bond, PLLC will:
- Review your case – During a free consultation, we examine the details of your case, help you determine whether you are entitled to seek compensation, and discuss your legal options.
- Investigate the accident – If we take your case, our attorneys will launch a full investigation into the accident that caused your injuries. Oftentimes, an investigation is needed to determine liability for an accident. In many accidents, there are multiple liable parties. Our attorneys examine the cause of the accident and identify every potential source of compensation.
- Gather evidence – We quickly gather and preserve evidence on your behalf to support your claim. For instance, if the accident occurred near a security camera, we might seek out the surveillance footage from that camera to identify the liable parties. Other evidence we might seek out includes witness testimony, expert testimony, photo and video evidence, the police report, and more.
- Document and calculate damages – We will document all of your financial losses resulting from the accident, such as medical expenses and lost wages. We will also attempt to quantify your non-financial losses, such as losses for pain and suffering, emotional and mental distress, PTSD, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Pursue compensation on your behalf – Our attorneys will aggressively pursue a fair settlement for you while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Insurance adjusters can be tough negotiators and may use various tactics to try and reduce or deny your claim. We will fight hard to secure a fair settlement on your behalf. If we are unable to reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
What Kind Of Cases Do Personal Attorneys Handle?
Personal injury lawyers like those at Portner Bond, PLLC handle many different types of injury cases, including:
- Automobile accidents – We help victims of car accidents hold the liable party or parties accountable for their negligence.
- Motorcycle accidents – Motorcycle accidents can result in extremely severe injuries because motorcyclists don’t have the same level of protection from a collision that other motorists do. We help motorcycle accident victims seek the compensation they need to recover.
- Bicycle accidents – Bicyclists often share the road with motorists, but negligent motorists sometimes fail to notice bicyclists or drive recklessly around them, which can lead to accidents.
- Truck accidents – Truck accidents can be complex to investigate, as there are often multiple liable parties, including the driver, the truck company, the maintenance company, cargo loaders, and defective parts manufacturers. Our attorneys thoroughly investigate truck accidents and help victims seek the justice they deserve.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrian accidents can result in severe injuries since pedestrians are usually directly impacted by a collision. We work tirelessly to obtain compensation for injured pedestrians.
- Slip and fall accidents – Slip and fall accidents can occur in a variety of settings, including on residential and commercial property, often because the property owner failed to eliminate a hazard or failed to warn guests about it. Our attorneys work to ensure that the at-fault party is held accountable for their negligence.
- Workplace accidents – Workplace injuries are especially common in certain industries, including construction and agriculture. We help workers obtain the workers’ compensation they are entitled to.
- Product liability claims – Sometimes, products that have design or manufacturing defects cause injuries. We help those who have been injured by defective products seek justice and compensation.